Phishing emails are big business.. 46% of UK Businesses had security breaches in 2017, of these 72% were related to staff receiving fraudulent emails.
A phishing email is an email that tricks one of your team into doing something that puts your business at risk , like:
- Opening a dangerous attachment
- Clicking a link
- Sharing sensitive information
- Transferring money.
- Sending products
We have 2 simple rules to avoid being phished:
- If you get an email that looks wrong, check it by drafting a reply (see below)
- The first time you send funds to a new bank account, get a known person at the supplier to confirm of their bank details (even if your CEO has sent the request!)
- www. gov.uk/government/statistics/cyber-security-breaches-survey-2017