It’s all to easy to send an email to the wrong person, or add the wrong attachment. Want an easy way to take it back ? Outlook has all you need – add an option to defer sending by 2 minutes. This is a simple and free way to improve your security – the cost of sending something to the wrong person can be huge.
To do this open the Rules wizard and choose the option to start from a blank rule, and create an ‘after sending’ rule. Deferred delivery is near the bottom.
Deferred sending is built into Gmail, and for apple users there’s a plugin for mail, or use the excellent “Newton” email app.
Step by step instructions for Outlook
You can delay the delivery of all messages by up to two hours by creating a rule.
- Click File.
- Click Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Click New Rule.
- In the Step 1: Select a template box, under Start from a Blank Rule, click Apply rule on messages I send, and then click Next.
- In the Step 1: Select condition(s) list, select the check boxes for any options that you want, and then click Next.If you do not select any check boxes, a confirmation dialog box appears. If you click Yes, the rule that you are creating is applied to all messages that you send.
- In the Step 1: Select action(s) list, select the defer delivery by a number of minutes check box.
- In the Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underlined value) box, click the underlined phrase a number of and enter the number of minutes for which you want the messages to be held before it is sent.Delivery can be delayed up to 120 minutes.
- Click OK, and then click Next.
- Select the check boxes for any exceptions that you want.
- Click Next.
- In the Step 1: Specify a name for this rule box, type a name for the rule.
- Select the Turn on this rule check box.
- Click Finish.
After you click Send, each message remains in the Outbox folder for the time that you specified.